Thursday, February 28, 2008

Kampung Chicken

How much does a "kampung" chicken cost?

Such a small stuff in life that a career woman like me couldn't bother to know until today. I was shocked that it costs RM22! This small matter brings out a bigger realization in me. I actually don't know how much is the cost of living for my family. I don't know how much I spend on groceries, how much it costs for 10kg of rice, milk, fish, meat, etc. Everytime I go shopping, I have my shopping list in hand, picked up all the things in the list and pay in one lump sum. Has the price of cooking oil or flour increased? Frankly, I don't even realize if they do. The only thing that I keep track of the price is Ethan's milk powder and Mamy Poko. Sigh! So sad.

I wonder how many modern working moms out there are like me. I can manage a project budget, knowing exactly how much it costs and where every single cent is spent but not my family expenses.

Time to wake up and do something different. After all, I work to earn a "living" not the other way round.

2 comments:

Black Monet said...

Yeah... it takes a while to 'find' out what everything cost at the market. Even ah sum like me get slaughtered sometimes.Well, I guess if you can manage millions...you can afford to 'pay for lessons lor hor..'

pathfinder said...

I was not as conscious abt prices till i started cooking recently. Buying groceries and going marketing can be an interesting adventure in itself. Lots to learn..like which is the best part of the babi for ham yee fah lum. :)