Tuesday, March 11, 2008

I don't want to go home

I have been very occupied at work recently due to the re-structure. Well, no matter how busy I am, Ethan's growth is not going to wait for me. He is now at the stage of "refuse to go home". It all started 2 weeks ago when I picked him up from the nanny's house on a Friday evening. He was walking towards me, holding his nanny's hand. When he saw me waving at him, he suddenly turned to his nanny, crying for a hug and hung on to her like a koala bear refusing to let go. Gosh! I felt as if I am a kidnapped or a monster. The boy refused to get into the car and be seated in his used-to-be-beloved car seat. We tried talking to him explaining, coming out with all sorts of stories and tricks but nothing works. Sigh! At the end, I have to use force to tuck him into his seat and buckled while he continued throwing his tantrum and crying at the top of his lung.

The cry finally stopped (not for long) when I gave him a steam bun (man tao), his favourite food. Phew! I quickly get myself back to the driver seat, organised and drove off. As we were leaving, the show started again and he was yelling for his nanny. It's like I'm the stranger taking away someone else's son from their mom. Gosh! It's so heart breaking. The cry continued for another 5 minutes while we're on our way home. Luckily our house is just nearby.

After having that drama for 2 weeks, I told John I couldn't handle this alone and I want him to be with me when we pick up Ethan. I can't focus in my driving while leaving the boy crying alone at the back seat.

His latest development now is, he refused to go back to nanny's house after the weekend. Yesterday morning when John sent him back, he refused to let him go and didn't want to follow nanny. Sigh! I guess he is protesting that he doesn't want to keep "shifting" home. John and I do feel a bit guilty but not much we can do. I know this is his growing stage and he will eventually grown out of it. Seeing him crying and going through that seperation drama every week is not easy. Hard for him, hard for us too.

Sigh! That's the price to pay. Well, looking at the positive side, at least he is very well taken care of by the nanny and her family. They treat him like their own youngest son. John and I feel blessed for that. To us, this is a better solution then leaving him with a maid.

I hope it won't be long before Ethan grown out of this drama.

4 comments:

pathfinder said...

Words always look better accompanied with pictures. His response shows that he is well loved by the nanny...so it's a good sign. A necessary pain...for now.

Pat Voo said...

Thanks for showing me the way to do it. :)

Black Monet said...

Sigh!! Poor Ethan,poor you and John. I completely understand how you feel..I still remember Aiden's face when the MAS van drives off.And that wretched feeling when he refuse to come to me when I come home from a long trip. Yes, prices to pay lor.. He will soon learn that it's gonna be like that. Ever consider bringing him home for the night?
Check out my new blog at http://ultracoolmama.com

clou said...

I dunno if it'll be the same for my niece, now that her parents have decided to leave her with relatives and go back to Sydney until end of this year. I guess it's very uncomfortable and insecure for him to move between two 'homes'. He doesn't like the feeling of 'leaving' his comfortable nest. But like you said, he will grow out of it and cope better.